HOME
NEWS
GALLERYAboutCONTACT BLOG

Thursday, April 3, 2008

cove ovolo

That was it, the last piece that I needed for Regan so she could finalize KBW's first folding brochure. It's the name of a molding type that I reference. Keep your eye's open for this new brochure I think it is well put together and I am proud to have it.

We've started Q2 since I last wrote. I hope economically Q2 is better than Q1. The prospects the I have now seem much better than at the beginning of Q1. One reason for that feeling is because of the Residential design conference that is going on this week. I finally after years of being too busy to attend was able to go. I was very impressed by what I saw there. Next year I will attend some of the seminars, and who knows maybe have a booth there. Some of the booths though were extremely lavish, I don't know if I want a lavish booth or a simple artful booth. either way I made some great contacts with a dozen of what I would consider to be my finest clients. If I get on job that leads into another job that leads into a repeatable, strategic, and profitable relationship with another business than my time has well paid off. Some people said to me that they were there to sell and not buy. I was there to sell also. I really had to leave my comfort zone at the show. Approaching strangers and trying to turn that into business is not a strong point of mine. Once I got started it got easier and then I think I might have been a little to aggressive, I'm sorry if I offended anyone by approaching a booth that you paid for to sell out of, but I have always seen that done at shows and think it's acceptable behavior for that event. I will have a booth at that show and experience the same thing. anyways I consider everyone to be on my virtual team. Even the other cabinet guys, there were some really good mill workers at the show. I mean really good companies, with long success patterns, I learn from those types of guys.
This week we have been deeply involved in job a61. This job is an exterior cabinet, we are building it out of Mahogany, cedar, and okoume plywood. It is going very well and I am quite pleased with how the skeleton is taking shape. This Saturday I hope to make the exterior skin V-groove from 1x8 cedar which I'll rip in half. I bought the 1x8 cedar because it is a better quality wood. I only needed 1x4 but the 1x4 was garbage. I made a decision at the lumber yard based on what I saw. that is why I like to go and buy the lumber, you never know what is there. And you have to make rational choices about what to buy and at what dimensions based on the usage. I can't delegate that to a novice, and I need my experience staff producing not driving to the yard. See I can drive to the yard and make calls, think about business issues, and then select the best wood to be used in my work. a61 is a really different type of cabinet and will be nice to feature because we can show off how diverse our skill is. And being able to build a wide range of wood products is what we do. Using our tools to their maximum potential. It's horizontal organic growth. We are trying to maximize our existing assets.
Job b67 is also being worked on this week. We are building the island. we are starting with the hardest part. Also the job is not ready for final dimensions yet so the island is the only thing that we can confidently build. Apparently Esteban is having a difficult time gluing up the corner posts. I'm going to suggest that we get a slow curing glue for such things, giving him more time to mess around with the alignment of the rails and such.
We have a company training day scheduled for tomorrow. it must go on. It's a company goal to have all of them this year. We made it through Q1 with only missing one, which was done to honor a fallen comrade on the job. I think I will call Sondu tomorrow and see if he is up for leading the training day tomorrow. I want to discuss how we build a unit 4 cabinet. which is a cabinet that sits directly on a counter top or work top so that there is no bottom to the cabinet, and typically one side has a panel. It's a tricky thing to do because we make our face frames first and then the box, on that type of cabinet the face frame has only three parts and doesn't hold it's self in dimension. I want to develop a process for this that we can teach across the staff.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home