HOME
NEWS
GALLERYAboutCONTACT BLOG

Monday, March 10, 2008

profiling

Over the weekend I spent several hours profiling. Which means making knives that we run on the shapers to make moldings. I'm just starting out and really have little knowledge or experience of what I'm doing, but I remain very interested. made two sets of knives one is for a chair rail and one is for door casing. Both of which are for job a69, a municipal job. Some other cabinet shops say that they turn away municipal jobs because of the lack of professionalism found there, that and the fact that they don't pay anything until the job is done. Well if they saw how unprofessional some of the jobs that I find myself on than they may reconsider. I'm proud to be on municipal jobs and I think that my work will stand a long time and get great use and be admired by many. Today it's a town hall vestibule tomorrow it may be the state house or the office of the governor. I treat it as an "a" job. which means it gets the utmost attention to detail and highest level of service. The profiling went well the first set of knives took 2.5 hours and the second set took 1.15 hours, so there is a learning curve. My profiling machine is old and difficult to use but it does the job. I'll learn on an old machine and fight my way thru the mistakes and build up my strenght so when I have a new machine I'll be smooth as glass. It takes finesse to profile you don't just jump out of the gate and make beautiful knives it takes lots of practise. Some day I'll be making my own knives of designs that I make for every type of molding and detail that goes into my cabinets making my designs very unique and hard to duplicate without serious study. Other people may have profile machines but what they don't have is the vision that I have for cabinets, they don't have the same library that I've read to get the vision, they haven't studied cabinets like I have. talk is cheap, the proof is in the pudding It may take a life time to get where I want with my cabinets, and uin that sense I may not have enough time to get it done. Life is short.

One another topic, my newest employee challengd me today at the weekly staff meeting. I was telling Ventura are painter that if he was next on the chopping block if he didn't follow the instructions that I gave him at the by-annual reviews. Gagan asked me quite matter of factly do you think he undestands you? I was at a loss....... The answer is no probally not. Good for you Gagan, we might as well not play games here and pretend he undestands. Sometimes I just get going and forget that he doesn't speak english. It is that kind of frank feed back that I need to run a successful buisness. Its hard for me to take intially but we're the better for it. I hope you decide to work for me for a long time Gagan becasue you don't B.S. and you will call it as you see it, and not worry about me lashing out at you, which is the case with so many other employees both past and present. Scared to talk back to the boss afraid that he will pull the trigger. Well if I'm going to pull the trigger than the sooner it happens than the better. I don't like lashing out at anybody and it is something that always try to work on. Just today Esteban glued up some oak stair treads with some badly colored wood after I asked him not to. I almost went off on him but I didn't. I'm very happy about that I just sucked in a big breath and let it not get to me and calmly asked him to fix it. my problems shouldn't be emotional it just make us look bad when the boss is freaking out and being irrational.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home