HOME
NEWS
GALLERYAboutCONTACT BLOG

Saturday, August 23, 2008

conference comments

The show is over and now i am contemplating all that I learned. I looked at many different machines that I am interested. I looked at every different type of multi head molder that was there, It does seem obvious to me that the best name in molders is Weinig, a German company, they are also the most expensive. One thing that I learned and it contrary to my beliefs thus far in machines is that good systems with bad machinery will out perform bad systems with good machinery. Now I also believed that a machinery purchase was for life and it was prudent to buy the absolute best on the market. I am starting to change my position on that. The Weinig machine is twice as expensive as the cheapest machine. The quality of he weining is apparent by the naked eye, the casting are larger, the whole thing is more refined. Same thing with Martin shapers. Ether the Weinig molder or the Martin shaper is 60k. And both will last me the life of my business, which is important to remember. There are many other things that I need to consider, like I don't need to use these machines they way they are designed for. these machine could run all day everyday. Fact is that I will use my machines maybe 15% of that, maybe I don't need the best because my business doesn't demand the best. Also for many businesses like mine I would need to borrow the money. Also for many buisnesses like mine loaned out money becomes a 500 lb. gorilla that will stifle my growth. The cheap machines are built in China. I don't know if that is a problem or not especially when I need parts done the road. The market seems to shy away from chines e machines, I think they are just feeling threatened. The weak dollar is also hurting the European machine makers. But fact is that I am looking at this from a pragmatic stand point, I need function and cost that is it. I don't want to waste my money simply because the industry feels threatened by China's machines. Nor would be happy about marrying myself to a European company, I would prefer to buy an American made machine, but I didn't see any at the IWF. I am not going to compromise all my available funds into one machine. So we are competing, and it is survival of the fittest I think it will be best for me to buy a cheaper machine and do what I can with it. will post more later.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home