HOME
NEWS
GALLERYAboutCONTACT BLOG

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

profile grinding

I have been profiling like crazy lately. We got our profile machine tuned up. The most important advancement in the machine is that I can now dress the wheel to match the stylelous which is the pin that the template rides against. This ensure precision, we are now measuring the grinding wheel to the nearest thousandth. I am finishing my knives by taking only 2 or 3 thousandths off at a time. I am still burning the knives on the plunge cut that removes the majority of the stock. The problem that I am having now is that I can't figure out the correct speed of the cutting wheel to eliminate the burning. The are so many factors that come into play with grinding that it is very hard to know what to do with out experience. I have found a book that I have learned so much from, and a mechanic with some expereince came by my shop and showed me a few things, that was very helpful. Pat Farmer is his name and he is very knowledgeable about profile grinding for the woodworking industry.

I am working on the knives for job b76. Today I made my best knives ever. Yesterday I made the knives for a base cap for job b58, they came out really good and they are totally proprietary, making my work very unique.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home