HOME
NEWS
GALLERYAboutCONTACT BLOG

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

training event

Each post is its own thing. I am really bummed that my first inspiration post didn't come through. We will just have to talk about that again sometime. I oiled this next teak top again today several times including the last time before installation. Before my last coat I steel wooled the top more so than before, which lent to a much more translucent coat. My newest approach to oiling these tops is to apply thinner coats and steel wool more aggressively in between coats with the finest grade steel wool. I don't think I talked about our last training event which was on Tuesday morning. We focused on installation preparation. It all starts when the job is in production. it entails making a list of all the parts needed for a job. It can be a big task for a larger job, we talked about we should break down the larger jobs into segments that can be understood. For the smaller jobs like c74 or the current job a1 it is much easier to make this list. We also talked about how leadership should be shared among the staff and myself. We used this install list as a way for leadership to be shared. Each one of us at the shop can make the install list it shouldn't be me, not all the time. I am expecting my people to take on such responsibilities. The install list is broken down into three main parts. phase one, two, and three. So the thinking is that production only needs to make things for phase one first, as those will be moved through the paint room first and to the job site first. No need to cut shelves for the cabinets until they are needed by the client. And the client does not care when they are cut until they want to use them. We don't need to make pedestals until the day before we need to install them, otherwise they just get in the way, like the shelves. When we are really busy this sort of planning comes in handy. If the client is a general contractor then all that is important to him is keeping the job moving forward. If I bring on a job every single part of the cabinets it just gets in the way of the other workman and we risk damage. So we bring on the job only what is needed to prevent holding up the job. And the items on the phase 1-3 list are laid-out accordingly.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home