HOME
NEWS
GALLERYAboutCONTACT BLOG

Thursday, April 9, 2009

picking up drawers

 
This is routine part of my life, picking up the drawer boxes at Eagle woodworking. I am very fortunate to have eagle so close where I can pick up the drawer boxes myself. Eagle woodworking is about a 20 minute drive. I really admire that business. I have never had a drawer go wrong or an order get dropped or a drawer get built the wrong dimension. Chris who owns and operates Eagle used to be in the cabinet business so he knows what companies like are up against. Anytime I go to eagle I can always get into a very good discussion with Chris or Patrick the manager about wood products manufacturing. They have been doing it longer than I and are running a successful business. As you can see from this photo I load the drawers against one another going across the truck this is important to keep the drawers from moving around while I drive back to the shop. On the left side over the wheel well I will put a heavy carpet mat there to put wright against the drawers and keep them from moving. The drawers are unfinished, we buy them like that, as Chris reminds me I am 1 out of 10 who chooses to finish the drawers themselves. I am not quite sure why that is, like other cabinet shops they must also have clear finises in the equipment ready to go at all times. The drawers come in to shop and get stacked up and then make there way thru the finishing department just as if we made them ourselves. We used to hardwood accenting on the top edge of the drawer. WE are not doing it now, it just seem that important to people today. It is better to keep the cost down unless the client expresses a desire for such extravagance. It is also important to note that with Eagle we pay as we pick up product, we do have an open account but we are choosing to pay as we go in an effort to better manage our cash, and also to show our respect for our vendors who also face slow cash flow. it is an initiative for my business to maintain as much solvency as possible, cash is king and when we need drawers fast eagle will respond to the one who is paying at time of delivery. We are trying to get that way with all our vendors, and the fact that it is so difficult is a telling sign that we are not charging enough for our products. Nothing stifles productivity more than a shortage of materials, due to shortage of cash, that is frustrating. So it is a preemptive action to maintain solvency.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home