HOME
NEWS
GALLERYAboutCONTACT BLOG

Monday, March 2, 2009

new goal sheet

this morning we had our weekly staff meeting. I have changed the format of how I share the goals. I am using a gant chart that I make in AutoCad, and I have broken down the job into P for production and F for finish and I for install. it is called the "PFI" schedule. The time is measured in weeks. it is a view of not all the jobs but the smaller ones that we are working on currently in between the larger jobs. The idea is that at a glance the staff can look at the gant chart and know what needs to be done. This is also the premise of an effective work group, it doesn't need instructions it just knows what to do. We are a long way off from that but I am trying to create the culture now.

One of the jobs in the shop now is a cherry library. We are using solid wood, it is becoming a problem, not only is it expensive but very labor intensive. the wood is very active, moving around alot. In the future we will be using our new vacuum presses to glue veneer to sub-straights and then using the panels for the cabinets, and only using solid wood where it really matters like the moldings.

We recieved some island corbels today from "Art for Everyday". they are gorgeous. I was shocked at how fast they came. For job 77 we are starting to get all the final pieces together and it is very exciting it will be one of our most impressive cabinet creations to date. I really need to start posting some photos of this amazing job.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home